As West Essex responds to the evolving circumstances surrounding Coronavirus, the following High School Band Activities have been postponed or cancelled. We encourage you to look to emails from Mr. Fabrizio and the district for further updates.
- Postponed: Carnegie Hall Symphonic Winds Performance
- Postponed: Music In Our Schools Concert
- Cancelled: NJ Region 1 Concert Band Festival
- Cancelled: Essex County Honors Band Concert
- Cancelled: Indoor Percussion Rehearsals and Performances
- Cancelled: Winter Guard Rehearsals and Performances
- Cancelled: March 23 WEBB General Membership Meeting
Less Than 1/2 Point Separates 1st from 3rd
In a strong second performance of the Indoor Percussion competitive season, West Essex’s 2020 show, “Mechanize”, secured 3rd place with a 76.9 at the US Bands Competition in Brick New Jersey on February 29, 2020.
The spread was razor thin, as only 0.4 points separated first from third place in the Scholastic Regional A Marching class.
Congratulations to Ms. M, Mr. G & the Indoor Percussion musicians for a great show!
Visit our Photos page for more pictures!
West Essex Winning Streak Continues!
Continuing a winning year for auditions, two 9th grade musicians successfully auditioned for Junior Region Band this year!
Left to Right: Gianna Lodato, Conductor Mr. Rick Fitzke, Dante Ragusa
Both students earned seats in the Symphonic Winds ensemble and will be joining other highly talented 7th, 8th and 9th graders from northern New Jersey in the Concert to be held on Sunday March 8, 2020 at 3:00pm at Madison Jr. High School. The concert was conducted by our very own Middle School Band Director, Mr. Rick Fitzke. The West Essex Band Boosters congratulates the following and all those who auditioned for your hard work and dedication!
- Gianna Lodato – Percussion – 2nd Chair, Symphonic Winds
- Dante Ragusa – Tuba – 3rd Chair, Symphonic Winds
Click here for more information on North Jersey Region Band.
Three Musicians Secure Seats in NJ’s All-State Ensembles
Capping off one of the most successful audition seasons ever for the West Essex High School Band Program, three students successfully auditioned for the 2020 New Jersey All-State Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Jazz Ensemble.
Left to Right: Andrew Marino, Gabriel Ruszala, TJ Viola
Securing a seat in these ensembles is no small task, and the West Essex Band Boosters offer its congratulations to the following for their achievement!
- TJ Viola (Senior), French Horn, Wind Ensemble
- Gabriel Ruszala (Junior), Trombone, Symphonic Band and Jazz Ensemble
- Andrew Marino (Sophomore), Mallets, Symphonic Band
After a two-day rehearsal and performance in Atlantic City, February 20-22, the Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band will perform at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) in Newark on Sunday February 23 at 3:00pm.
Congratulations to Region Audition Winners!
The West Essex Band Boosters congratulate the following five West Essex High School musicians for successfully auditioning for the North Jersey Region I Band ensembles this past weekend!
We applaud the hard work and dedication of all who tried out, as preparing to audition for these ensembles is no small feat; we are proud of your efforts!
- Jimmy Alamia, Junior – Timpani – Symphonic Band
- James Humphrey, Sophomore – 3rd Chair Bass Clarinet – Symphonic Band
- Andrew Marino, Sophomore – 1st Chair Mallets – Wind Ensemble
- Gabe Ruszala, Junior – 2nd Chair Trombone – Symphonic Band & Orchestra
- TJ Viola, Senior – 1st Chair French Horn – Wind Ensemble
The Region Band Concert will be held on Sunday January 26, 2020, at Parsippany Hills High School. Time to be announced. Come on out and support our students! For more information on North Jersey Region Band, click on the logo above.
Nine Students Win Seats in North Jersey Area Band Auditions!
The West Essex High School Band Program is well represented in this year’s North Jersey Area Band. Nine students successfully auditioned and will be performing at the annual concert on Saturday January 11, 2020 at 2:00pm at Mount Olive High School. The Wind Ensemble will be conducted by Professor Darryl J. Bott, Director of University Bands at Rutgers University (and former Band Director at West Essex High School, 1982-1988), while the Symphonic Band will be led by Mr. Jarred Mattes, Band Director at Kittatinny Regional High School.
The West Essex Band Boosters congratulate the following students and all those who auditioned. We applaud your determination, drive and dedication! Click here for more information on North Jersey Area Band.
- Jim Alamia, Junior – Symphonic Band – Timpani
- James Humphrey, Sophomore – Symphonic Band – 4th Chair Bass Clarinet
- Gianna Lodato, Freshman – Symphonic Band – 2nd Chair Percussion
- Andrew Marino, Sophomore – Wind Ensemble – 1st Chair Mallets
- Caroline McElhannon, Sophomore – Symphonic Band – 6th Chair – 2nd Flute Part
- Ryan Polizzi, Sophomore – Symphonic Band – 1st Chair Trombone
- Gabriel Ruszala, Junior – Wind Ensemble – 1st Chair Trombone
- TJ Viola, Senior – Wind Ensemble – 1st Chair French Horn
- Julia Zon, Junior – Symphonic Band – 4th Chair Percussion
Caldwell University Honor Band Concert Held
We further congratulate the following 18 students who were recently selected to participate in the Caldwell University Honor Band. These students performed in the annual concert, held on Friday December 6, 2019, under the direction of Professor Rebecca Vega, Instructor of Music at Caldwell University.
- Anthony Penna, Ava Franchi, Domenic Mangiarelli, Emily Hahn, Ethan Miskulin, Gillian Rodgers, James Humphrey, Joseph Matarazzo, Kathryn Trupia, Lea Bachenheimer, Michael Ragusa, Nicholas Stampone, Samara Schiffman, Sean Jenison, Sephanie Freda, Tiana Pimentel, TJ Viola, Yasmin Cardoso
Congratulations to all!
Madison Rombough Will March with the Macy’s Great American Marching Band!
Watch for Maddie as she marches down 6th Avenue and into Herald Square welcoming the Holiday Season! The sophomore flutist joins more than 220 musicians and Color Guard from across the United States in this spectacular event – don’t miss it! Click here to read more!
Madison Rombough, Sophomore Flutist will march in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC!
The High School Concert Series Kicks off for the 2019/2020 School Year!
Congratulations to Mr. Fabrizio and the students of the Concert Band, Symphonic Winds, and the 8th Grade Band, for a fantastic Fall Concert, held at the West Essex Middle School Auditorium on Tuesday November 19, 2019.
More than 130 musicians filled the stage as 8th Grade Band Students joined the High School musicians for a special combined performance!
Among a number of selections, the audience was treated to a special combined performance of Randall Standridge’s Adrenaline Engines, with the 8th Grade Band Students sharing the stage with the two High School ensembles for a Grand Finale. And grand it was, as the auditorium was absolutely filled with the wonderful sound of more than 130 musicians!
Friends and family were also treated to an enjoyably technical piece by composer Bruce Yurko, Night Dances, with Mr. Yurko in the audience! It was a rare and special opportunity for the students to perform a piece for the composer himself.
Thank you to the West Essex Band Boosters for providing hospitality after the concert, where concertgoers, musicians and staff had the opportunity to mingle and enjoy light refreshments.